Thursday, December 03, 2009

Christmas music

As per my "promise" to blog at least once a week...

The holiday season is now upon us. For me, with my disabled kids who don't really "get" Christmas, it can be a bittersweet time. We've never put up decorations or even a tree, because our house just isn't set up for it. Plus, a tree is something that the kids will just get into (or want to) and it's simply not worth the hassle.

It can be sad sometimes having kids who aren't developmentally to the point that they don't get excited about Santa or presents or the anticipation of Christmas. I try, though. I take them out to get pictures with Santa and send them to family and friends. And we try to expose them to Christmas-y things, like Santa and dressing up and celebrating on the day.

So I try and get into the season, even if it's just for myself. It can be really hard, though, and there have been years when I haven't even made the attempt. It almost takes real discipline, but I've learned that for me, it's necessary because the alternative isn't fun at all. The holidays can be hard enough without making it worse on yourself by having a bad attitude.

One of the biggest helps for me during this time of year is remembering the spiritual aspect of the holiday. I try and remember that this is Advent, the time when we're to prepare ourselves for the coming of Christ, both into the world and into our own lives. I try to use this time to anticipate experiencing Him in a more profound way.

One way is the use of music. I'm the kind of person who listens to Christmas music all year long, but in December, I try and immerse myself in it. I try and "discover" at least one new Christmas album each year. I will make a list of my favorite Christmas music in a future post. I used to say that Christmas is the only time that it's socially acceptable to listen to "Christian" music. I love it. It reminds me of the really corny saying, "Jesus is the reason for the season."

No comments: