Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Blogging struggles

I've been spending more and more time with the freelance writing thing, to the point that I may change the title and look of this blog to reflect that. The common wisdom these days is that if you're a writer, you need to have a blog. That's been a struggle for me, mostly because if I'm writing all day, the last thing I want to do is blog.

It's not like it's an onerous task, though. One thing I've learned about writing is that it begets more writing. It's like the creative juices are flowing, so finding more things to write about isn't hard. The problem is that I'm the most undisciplined person in the world.

In my research for some of my freelance writing, however, I read some really good advice about blogging. The most successful blogs aren't updated several times a day; instead, they're updated 3-4 times a week. That's certainly manageable, even for me. I need to do what I tell my clients in my other job: work it into my schedule. In other words, make an appointment with myself every other day to spend ten minutes blogging. Eventually, it will become routine for me, just like every other blogger in the universe.

No comments: