Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Stanford Memorial Church

I'm very proud to report that I've reached another milestone in my Wikipedia editing career: my third featured article to be placed on the main page. Stanford Memorial Church, which is a real effort of love on my part, is there today, Sept. 16.

It's a great accomplishment (all three of my FAs have been on the main page), but there are drawbacks to it. The added attention brings out all kinds of people who take issue with the article, even though it's been thoroughly worked over in the process to become a FA. Sometimes the feedback is quite bizarre, as the statement below, which is on the article's talk page. (I can reproduce it here, since everything on Wikipedia is free use.)


A lot of this seems fairly biased... particularly the section about the church's influence. It paints secularism in a bad light by repeatedly quoting people for the church as opposed to the more NPOV [non-point of view] approach of quoting someone painting secularism in a bad light as well as quoting the opposing view. Perhapsif there were more than one sentence with a conflicting view from "this church made stanford, a former bastion of LIBERAL ATHEISM, great!" then this article would be more deserving of being featured.

My first reaction, upon reading this, is to make some sarcastic and snarky comments. I even wrote a response, but I deleted it because I've been advised to refrain from that kind of thing if I want to submit myself for administrator sometime in the future. I can, however, record it here, on my own blog, where I can be as snarky as I want to be.

Huh? Excuse me if I come off as disrespectful, but anyone who knows me well would guffaw at the above statement. First off, perhaps I'm being dense as well (been known to happen!), but I'm not sure what you're saying here, your second sentence in particular. But let me explain why they'd laugh, and why I did after reading it. Anyone who knows me would say, "Former bastion?" 'Cause honey, they'd know I'd say something like, Stanford still is! But who the heck cares, doncha know? My personal opinion matters little, and after all the vetting this article has been through, you're the first person to have caught me in my ultra-conservative, POV [point-of-view]-pushing agenda. Amazing!



I have to run now, so I'll have more about this later.

No comments: