Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Morose-ness

I just wrote a tweet that is me exaggerating again. These days, I've been in kind of a funk. It's something I go through from time to time, mostly when I'm feeling overwhelmed by the whole parenting children with disabilities thing. We can get in such a rut with these kids. At times it feels like I'm going to be watching the same episode of "Blues Clues" over and over again for forever. And I'm going to have to deal with the same workers who don't have a clue (har-har).

I've been hearing the word "no" a lot. No, what you're doing for the kids isn't good enough. You know that writing project you really wanted to do? No, you can't do that. It can really get old really fast, and it can just get a person down. This restlessness won't last, I'm sure--it never does. The academic writing has really dried up, it being summertime and all, so I've done some pretty tedious contracts these days.

Here are some random thoughts, before I leave to meet Anna at her speech therapy appointment.

I've still been able to notice the parallels, as I've talked about here before. The last writing project I did (which I really hated) consisted of going to webpages and summarizing them. Then I gave a speech about the Secretary position in Toastmasters, and it was about how important it was to have summarization skills as a secretary in any organization.

This past weekend, my pastor, Fr. Joe Schmidt, retired. There was a huge party for him on Sunday. Fr. Joe's final homily was about letting go, so I couldn't help writing about that in a 300-word essay I had to write for a kid going off to college for the first time. I've been thinking a lot about that this week. I suspect that's been the source of my funk.

No comments: