Friday, January 01, 2010

Fluff post #7: Summer reading list

President Obama is on vacation right now, so there have been articles written about what he’s reading during his time off. Can you imagine being so famous that people talk about what you’re reading?

This is what I’m reading this summer, in spite of the fact that I haven’t been able to take a vacation this year.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, by Susanna Clarke. I first heard about it when I was asked to review its Wikipedia article. What an interesting book. Clarke creates this entire alternative history about the use of magic and magicians in England. It’s about the resurgence of magic in the early 1800s in Britain, and focuses on these two magicians. There are footnotes surrounding the study of magic. It’s written in the style of Jane Austin—funny and witty, and just as much a commentary about modern society as the time it’s about.

Mary, Mother of the Son, by Mark Shea. This is actually a series of three books about the Virgin Mary; I’ve read the first volume so far. Mark Shea is an acquaintance of mine, although my husband knows him better. Mark is a Catholic writer from Seattle with his own blog, kind of famous in the Catholic blogosphere. He does a good job of explaining the reasons Mary is so venerated by Catholics.

Kermit Culture, edited by Jennifer C. Garlen and Anissa M. Graham. A book of articles about Jim Henson’s Muppets, specifically the “Muppet Show” Muppets. Very cool.

The Heart of a Woman, by Maya Angelou. Angelou’s fourth in her series of six autobiographies. I’m reading it because she’s someone I greatly admire, and because I’m working on all Angelou articles on Wikipedia.

No comments: