Friday, January 01, 2010

Fluff post #3: Wikipedia, my addiction

The one website I live for these days is Wikipedia. I have such an addictive personality, and Wikipedia plays right into that. At night, after my husband and two kids have gone to bed, I turn off the TV, put on some nice music (or sometimes I don’t, and enjoy the quiet), and edit my articles. It’s the way I unwound after a long, stressful day.

At first, I would go to the library to do my research. Now, I’ve spent so much money on books for my articles. Of course, you have to remember that there’s no “ownership” of articles on Wikipedia. Since everyone is open to edit on Wikipedia, no one person is the writer of any article. Wikipedia uses phrases like “main editor” to describe a person who has led the article to improvement, even if it means that the main editor has written the majority of the article.

My trouble, and I freely admit it, even on Wikipedia, is that I spend hours and hours on an article, and I work very hard to improve it. Yes, I get emotionally involved with these articles. I’ve noticed that I’m not the only editor who has this propriety attitude about the articles they nurture. It’s only natural, and I make no excuse for it. I do recognize, though, that the ideal is that lots of editors contribute, and the best articles (even the featured articles, the ones that make it to the front page) are the ones who have had several contributors.

No comments: