Monday, July 20, 2009

The Wiggles concert

After the meet-and-greet, we went and found our seats for the concert. We had really good seats--the fourth row back. It was the first time I had been in the INB center in Spokane, which is next door to the Convention Center. I forgot, in my last post, to mention that before the meet-and-greet, we were early, so we picked up some Sonic (my husband's favorite fast-food; he's disappointed that there isn't one in Moscow), and hung out at Riverside Park for a little while. It was the first time I had been there, too. It's a beautiful place, located next to the Little Spokane River.

As I also mentioned in my previous post, we were told that Anthony had the flu. You wouldn't have known about it from his performance. The only reason I knew was that I was told, and the only reason I noticed was because I was looking for it. You could tell he wasn't completely on his game. This year's tour has a circus theme, so he (and Paul Paddick, as Capt. Feathersord) did lots of gymnastics tricks. It obvious that the tricks took more out of him than usual. His singing was barely affected. The show must go on, you know. It's always impressed me that performers are able to perform like that, even while being sick.

I know everything there is about The Wiggles, so another thing that impressed me about this concert was how they utilized their personal interests and incorporated them into the concert. It's like a little glimpse of their lives. For example, I knew that Anthony and Paul Paddick are both into gymnastics, so it was nice to see them demonstrate it. I had even mentioned the fitness videos out on YouTube to another parent as we were waiting for the Meet-and-Greet. (I also mentioned how "hot" they were.)

At one point during the concert, a screen fell onto the stage. Everyone, including the audience, reacted, and without missing a beat, the dancers picked it up and took it backstage. It was done so professionally, it almost felt like it was part of the show. Fortunately, it didn't hit anyone, so no one got hurt. Another thing that impresses me about performers is that how well they handle things like that, and you know that this kind of thing happens often.

So it was an enjoyable show. I think it's worthwhile to attend a Wiggles concert; you see aspects about them you can't see from just their TV shows and videos. For example, Sam really does have a marvelous voice, as evidenced during his performance of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" That was one of the highlights of the show. They darkened the theater, and then shone lights that shimmered everywhere.

The Wiggles put on a show that's just as enjoyable for parents as it is for the kids. They played all my favorite songs, and it was just as fun watching the kids. Anna actually sat enraptured the entire 90 minutes; George was so excited, he couldn't sit still, and yammered throughout. It was great fun. We had to rush home, since it was also my in-laws' 50th wedding anniversary. This day, as I told my husband, will go down in the annals of the Meyer family history.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank so much for the Link Cristine!! I liked Reading this AND I have a bit of a Treat for you! Fitz has 1 MORE VID that was not on youtube!!
http://www.fitzness.com/Video/Fitzness.com%20Videos.html
go to "anthony 2

Anonymous said...

I ment the 2end anthony vid number 8

Christine W. Meyer said...

Thanks, Jen. I will look at them. You're such a pal! ;)

Jena said...

you are welcome!