Monday, December 11, 2006

Johnny Weir



Weir needs to figure out who he is and just be it. In his interview on the U.S. broadcast, he said that after his tough year last season, he doesn’t want to “offend anyone this year.” But in his long program, he depicts Jesus Christ. He says he wants to be more “masculine,” but his long program costume is still flowing. On the Japanese version of Weir’s short program at Skate Canada, he looks into the camera and says in English, “Hi, I’m Johnny Weir, and we’re the best”; then he sticks out his tongue, makes the Corna gesture, and giggles. The man is confused; he says one thing and does the exact opposite.

Weir is a polarizing figure. I have no problem with that; he’s an incredibly talented skater and has been very successful, rightfully so. My problem with him is that he annoys me; I’m not sure he’s someone I’d like to eat dinner with. I’d respect him a great deal more if he simply decided who he was, and live it out, without making any excuses or apologies. He’s young, so perhaps he’ll figure that out.

So here's Weir's long program at Skate Canada. As the article about Skate Canada at the U.S. Figure Skating webpage states, he's one of the reasons Lambiel came from way behind to win the gold. There was definately room for improvement.

No comments: