Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Brer Rabbit

Something happened today that proves my point about things happening to me that are connected. Just like the above post, half of it has to do with Maya Angelou.

Today was a writing day. Not only do I have some freelance deadlines looming, I also have progress notes to complete and billing to process for my other job, which I'm currently in the process of leaving so that I can concentrate on the writing. I needed a break, and the kids were home and needed access to the dining room table where I camp out with my laptop. I picked up the book I'm reading right now, Angelou's Heart of a Woman, mentioned in the previous post.

Angelou was recounting her experience getting hired as a journalist in Cairo, in spite of her inexperience in the field. She described it as feeling like she was Brier Rabbit being thrown in the Brier patch: "Please don't do the worst thing to me! Please don't throw me in that Brier patch!" Then she recounted the story.

A few hours later, my husband and I are going through our nightly TV viewing, trying to eat dinner and not kill the children. (If you lived in our house, with two tiresome severely developmentally disabled little kids, you'd understand that statement.) First, we watched the season finale of "Warehouse 13," which is an interesting little sci-fi show that has grown on me throughout the summer. (We also watched the last episode of "The Colony" on the Discovery Channel, another oddly compelling show.)

During a scene towards the end of "Warehouse 13," the protagonists were bringing in the bad guy, and my husband cited (you guessed it!) the same Brier Rabbit story that Angelou references in her book. Before he even finished quoting the same line, I said, "It happened again!" Like I said, that happens to me all the time! Weird, huh?

No comments: