Thursday, January 08, 2009

Not so long this time

So it's been two months since the last time I posted anything on this blog. The reason for that is that as I was attempting to view some of the Grand Prix figure skating events on YouTube, I discovered, to my dismay, that they had been removed. I suspect that U.S. Figure Skating is to blame. Of course, that means that just because I live in the US, I can only watch the sport when it's broadcast by NBC, even though the YouTube videos were originally broadcast on other networks outside the US. At this point, that's only twice a year. As a result, I gave up blogging about figure skating in disgust.

The only hope we American fans have to watch the sport more regularly is that if the ISU gets its act together and make a contract with some US network to broadcast more figure skating. I've seen nothing in the media about it, but with the "downturn" of the sport in the US and the state of the economy worldwide, I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon. It's shameful on so many levels. Of course, ABC is responsible for much of it, for not promoting the sport after they lost the rights to broadcast the Olympics.

The bright spot in all this, at least for me, is that NBC will broadcast the Nationals in a few weeks; perhaps I'll blog more regularly after that. In addition, my marvelous husband bought me tickets to the 2010 Nationals because it's returning to Spokane. The 2007 Nationals, which he also sent me to, were the highlight of my life. Spokane wrote the book on how to host a successful Nationals, so it should be even better. Let's hope that the city doesn't have another winter like this one, with eight feet of snow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, there's a really interesting article about a high school boy who decided to defy stereotypes and skate. Here's the link: http://voice.paly.net/view_story.php?id=7694